KnitYoga

All rights are reserved on all images and text on this blog.

Friday, February 19, 2010

Aeolian Shawl


Well, the yarn of silken loveliness got twisted this way and that meandering it's way around my needles until it became this. If you want to see more detail, please click on the pic and it will enlarge.


I am so pleased with how it turned out. It's a nice size - a shoulderette - and will be great for someone to drape around their shoulders on summer evenings. It's not for me. I wonder where it will end up??

The clear, silver lined beads show up really well against the topaz blue. For those of you in the UK who have been used to getting your Rowan/Jaeger beads from John Lewis, Rowan are no longer doing them, hence John Lewis are unable to stock them. However, Debbie Abrahams is now stocking them and she has them in sizes 06 and 08 in lots of lovely colours. I had already started knitting when I ran out of beads. I had some clear, silver lined beads in my stash but I knew I would need more and was getting a bit worried when I found JL didn't do them any more but, after discovering Debbie had them, I rang her to make sure I got the exact ones. She was so helpful and they arrived really quickly so I will definitely be shopping at her website again. Get Knitted also have them but I think they only have them in size 06 which, personally, I think are too big for laceweight although they work great on thicker yarn.

In other creative endeavours, I was taught how to make flowers from old coloured tights and wire and here are my efforts.




They are very easy, if a bit fiddly, to make and I can think of tons of uses for them including extra embellishment to gift wrapping, jewellery, etc.

I was also secretly beavering away on knitting 20 feet of lace edging to be sewn on to a baby afghan. Here it is wet blocking on towels.


And here's a close up when it was ready to send.


The afghan itself was a group effort and was for a lady in the MA group who is shortly to have a baby. All of us who were contributing made blocks and I sent the edging to the US so that dear Purr could sew it on. The following photo is courtesy of Purr.


It came out really nice, don't you think? Amazing to think that so many hands from all over the world have contributed to it and Mum-to-be was thrilled with it!

I like to try new things and, as I hadn't done entrelac before, I thought I'd have a go at an entrelac lace shawl. Here it is in progress.


The design is called Dianna and is by MaweLucky. The yarn, Jojoland Melody, is from stash and the colour changes in it are just perfect for this design. Not only is it entrelac but it's entrelac lace and I love the way the colours are panning out and the way the construction causes the leaves to face different directions. At the moment, it has that 'egg crate' look which knits sometimes have before blocking so I can't wait to finish and wet block to see it open up and 'bloom'.

8 Comments:

  • At 5:09 pm, Blogger RooKnits said…

    Gorgeous Aeolian. I do love that pattern. I love the entrelac lace too, so pretty.

     
  • At 7:21 pm, Blogger Rebecca said…

    just wow wow wow and wow! you knit the most beautiful and exquisite projects and i think i say that every time you post something but...WOW!!!

     
  • At 8:50 pm, Blogger acrylik said…

    Oh, such wonderful inspiration here Hazel! I absolutely adore your Aeolian shawl, the beads set it off just beautifully.

    The afghan edging is wonderful - I so love the photo of it blocking! What a wonderful heirloom piece and such a great daily reminder of friends around the world, I bet the recipient was over the moon with it.

    Loving the entrelac lace - looking forward to seeing it all finished and blocked.

     
  • At 9:38 pm, Blogger shirley said…

    Hazel, When I saw the blue silk skein I just knew you would turn it into something stunning and you do not disappoint. Your work is exquisite. This will be someone's family heirloom.

     
  • At 9:43 pm, Blogger shirley said…

    What a lucky baby to have this beautiful afghan made so lovingly. It is beautiful

    This shawl will definitely be a family heirloom.

    Everything you do is stunning you are so clever.

     
  • At 10:28 pm, Anonymous Georgina (remoteknitter) said…

    Oooooooooh Hazel! What a scrumdiddlyumptious post! I felt like I was using a beautiful bowl of sugared almonds as a ball-pool, it was so enjoyable to view! Ta very much!!

     
  • At 11:01 pm, Blogger NickiLee said…

    Oh Hazel! WOW! WOW! You knitting and crocheting is just stunning - I so wish we lived closer to teach other other our addictions LOL! The shawl is gorgeous and the trim beautiful!

     
  • At 4:00 pm, Blogger Acornbud said…

    The shawlette is amazingly beautiful! I'm quite impressed with the lace edging blocking. What a wonderful project.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home