KnitYoga

All rights are reserved on all images and text on this blog.

Thursday, February 21, 2008

Catching up!


Thanks so much to all who left comments on my last post. I thought, in this one, I'd better catch up with what I've been doing. Knitting has taken place! First, the 'Counting Sheep' Baby Blanket knitted in Jaeger Matchmaker DK from the Vogue Baby Blankets book. Can you see the blackberry stitch sheep with 3D ears?




I decided to line the blanket with some cotton fabric and was delighted to find this gorgeous, high quality landscape fabric on eBay featuring a field of wild flowers with sheep, a sheep dog and farmer.


I washed the fabric to preshrink it before stitching it to the back of the blanket and also added some hidden stitches here and there to stop the middle from bagging.




Baba's mum has given it her approval and I hope baba will like it, too!

I also made a start on Odette from the Rowan Kidsilk Aura book . . .


. . . and used two skeins of Noro Aurora from stash to make a scarf for a friend's birthday.


The scarf was knitted in two halves which were then grafted together so that the ends would match and I used the Celtic Waves ripple stitch pattern from Jan Eaton's '200 Ripple Stitch Patterns' book.


And I have some buttons and beads to show! A friend who is familiar with my penchant for interesting buttons acquired these little beauties for me a couple of months ago which she found in an antique shop. What a great find!


She also gave me some lovely fibres and yarn she had spun but my camera has been unable to do justice to them due to the dismal weather.

As for beads, these were my two most treasured buys at the Bead Show at Sandown Park back in November.


Botswana Agate and highly polished Lapis Lazuli.

At present, I'm working on designing a christening shawl (as much as one can design such a thing when using traditional stitch patterns such as Shetland or, in this case, Estonian stitch patterns). To get an idea of how the stitch patterns will look together and to familiarise myself with the construction and the charting, I'm initially knitting a swatch shawl, i.e. a small version of the real thing! I got this idea from the Gossamer Webs Design Collection Book which gives directions for several sample Orenberg shawls to knit so that one gets used to the techniques. Hopefully, the shawl I'm making will become an heirloom in our family and I think it will be really nice to have the teeny version to go along with it to show the design and swatching process. It makes it more individual and special, don't you think. I just hope that my descendants in years to come will appreciate lace knitting otherwise both normal and teeny sized shawls might one day end up in a charity shop or, worse, the bin! Well, one can only hope . . . I should have some pics of the swatch/sample shawl to show in a day or two providing it doesn't all go terribly wrong! LOL

18 Comments:

  • At 6:53 pm, Blogger Claire said…

    You've been busy! I love the baby blanket - the sheep are so cute, and the backing fabric is lovely. I'm sure the Christening Shawl will be appreciated, too.

     
  • At 7:14 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    That's one of the most gorgeous baby blanketa I've ever seen, I'm sure baby will adore it. Those sheep pop out at you, texture as well as colour. I wish someone had made my babies something like that :)

     
  • At 8:08 pm, Blogger Kath said…

    Good to see you're back and busy knitting - love the sheepy blanket, the baba must be destined to be a knitter now!!

     
  • At 8:33 pm, Blogger Wye Sue said…

    If that blanket is for the baba I think, I wish I'd have thought of it !!! It's wicked - I need to find something small and sheepy to knit...

     
  • At 10:59 pm, Blogger Steph said…

    Great baby blanket - the lining works really well. Love that colourful ripple scarf too. :-)

     
  • At 4:56 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Love purple and green together - so soothing. How clever to find such an apt and great backing fabric on eBay!

     
  • At 6:54 pm, Blogger dreamcatcher said…

    I love the blankie with the sheep motif! The fabric you found is just perfect.

    The Noro scarf is fab, I can never resist Noro (went to shop for just needles today, came out with needles + Kureyon :-D)

     
  • At 7:44 pm, Blogger Arianwen said…

    I love the sheep blanket. The backing is perfect. Glad to see you back and blogging

     
  • At 11:16 am, Blogger Nana Sadie said…

    Wow! That fabric is darling - there's a whole collection of the Meadow Farm fabrics - this one is great with your adorable blanket!!
    (I collect antique buttons, too!)
    (((Hugs)))

     
  • At 3:41 pm, Blogger Modelwidow said…

    What a wonderful blanket, the backing fabric is just perfect. The scarf is lovely too - you have very lucky friends.

     
  • At 10:32 pm, Blogger Daisy said…

    Those sheep are SO fab, especially the ears!

     
  • At 12:56 pm, Blogger Woolly Wormhead said…

    Thank you so much Hazel, the blanket is wonderful! have posted it on my blog this morning. I really appreciate it, especially considering everything you've had going on lately.

    Thank you! xx

     
  • At 5:18 am, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Just love the sheep-y baby blanket! Great job!

     
  • At 4:30 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    The lining is perfect - what a keeper - mum and baby will be fighting over it in the future!
    I love that scarf - funnily enough I was dreaming about Noro last night - searching a strange dark little dream-LYS for it!

     
  • At 6:08 pm, Blogger Seahorse said…

    Really lovely work!

    The shawl sounds like a very special project.

     
  • At 11:25 am, Blogger acrylik said…

    The baby blanket is absolutely amazing, what a wonderful present and it will surely become a family heirloom.

    Looking forward to seeing progress pictures and details on the christening shawl, it sounds very interesting.

     
  • At 12:30 pm, Blogger Sweetpea4kids said…

    Your baby blanket is gorgeous and what a lucky and perfect find your fabric was. I'm sure you'll have a very warm and pleased baby.

     
  • At 4:02 pm, Blogger SH Sue said…

    The blanket is so colorful and textured. Lovely. I never thought of lining a knit blanket with cotton fabric (or anything else). Beautiful fabric. sue

     

Post a Comment

<< Home