KnitYoga

All rights are reserved on all images and text on this blog.

Monday, October 22, 2007

Spring Things and Estonian Lace Swatch


Presenting Spring Things (now blocked)!






I used beads instead of the nupps and I think the effect is rather nice.


Specs: Knitted in Rowan Kid Silk Haze, Dewberry colourway on 4.5mm needles. Finished size was larger than in the pattern which is what I wanted and, after blocking, is 66" x 33". The beads are size 6 raspberry lined crystal AB from Earth Faire.

I haven't really got anything against nupps though as you can see by this photo!


I'm helping out with knitting swatches for the Estonian Lace Study and this is my first one completed and blocked. The swatches are from an Estonian book, 'Pitsilised Koekirjad' which contains charts for the most amazing Estonian lace patterns.

The book, of course, isn't in English and the chart symbols are not as we know them but with the help of this translation and the book itself, they can be understood. I love the way Estonian lace combines the openness and airiness of the lace with the textural effect of the nupps, etc. The swatches can be quite big when finished (this one is 13" x 12.5") as there need to be enough stitch and pattern repeats to fully illustrate how each pattern will look when knitted. This is a problem in the original book which contains poor quality black and white photos that appear to be too zoomed in on just one area in a lot of the patterns so it's difficult to get a good idea of the finished result. I've learnt a lot already by just knitting this one swatch. The most complicated rows in this particular pattern are the ones with the nupps and cables in the same row. I did 9 stitch nupps worked over two rows and the cables required working with two cable needles at the same time, one at the front of the knitting needle and one at the back. I'm actually finding it rather enjoyable!

27 Comments:

  • At 2:08 am, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    The shawl is amazing. It is absolutely beautiful. And beads instead of nupps.... marvelous idea!

     
  • At 2:43 am, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Oh my gosh!!! Another absolutely stunning shawl. You are a fantastic knitter!! I love the beads!!

     
  • At 5:13 am, Blogger Nurhanne said…

    So very pretty!

     
  • At 8:01 am, Blogger Jenn said…

    Your shawl is absolutely beautiful and the beads really looks great on there! That swatch is really lovely as well!!! WOW!! I could see just that being knit up as a scarf and looking lovely or using that pattern and making a nice light cardi from it! :)

     
  • At 10:20 am, Blogger Piglottie said…

    Stunning! I love your shawl, and think the beads look wonderful. I have never attempted nupps but hope to one day get over my fear :)

     
  • At 12:00 pm, Blogger T said…

    Lovely, as ever :)

     
  • At 1:59 pm, Blogger Susie H said…

    So very fabulous - wow, the beading just makes the shawl pop, IMO. Well done, and inspiring!

     
  • At 2:00 pm, Blogger Linda said…

    I love the beads in the shawl, a great alternative to nupps although I found nupps OK to do once when I knitted them! You knit the most gorgeous lace.

     
  • At 5:35 pm, Blogger MissLucy said…

    it's stunning!

     
  • At 6:42 pm, Blogger Claire said…

    Spring Things looks beautiful - and the Estonian Lace Swatch looks absolutely too - wow to the cabling front and back at the same time!

     
  • At 8:58 pm, Blogger Saira said…

    I love the spring things shawl. The colour and the beads are fantastic.

     
  • At 10:19 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    OMG - that's just BEAUTIFUL! I can't wait to reach that level of sophistication with my lace. Well done you!

     
  • At 1:34 am, Blogger Acornbud said…

    This shawl is simply amazing! The beads really add.

     
  • At 4:33 pm, Blogger Daisy said…

    Wow, it looks amazing. I love the effect with the beads.

     
  • At 7:19 am, Blogger kathryn said…

    Spring Things, KSH and beads, especially the beads -what a stunning combination! Your shawl is just fabulous.

    The Estonian swatch is lovely too.

     
  • At 6:59 pm, Blogger dreamcatcher said…

    Spring Things is so beautiful blocked! The beads really add something to it too :-)

     
  • At 6:16 pm, Blogger Seahorse said…

    Fabulous shawl!

    The swatch looks very complicated :0

     
  • At 9:21 pm, Blogger Stitch 'n Dye said…

    Oh Yummy yummy - that shawl is delicious:) The Estonian lace is really interesting - quite different.

     
  • At 10:53 pm, Blogger Bee said…

    I love the shawl. I love the colour. It looks very elegant.

     
  • At 9:59 pm, Blogger Arianwen said…

    wow you have been really industrious! another beautiful shawl. Are you doing anymore of the knitalongs that are going on at the moment?

     
  • At 2:03 pm, Blogger Nana Sadie said…

    Spring Things is on my list, and your's is GORGEOUS! (I'm beading too, so it's nice to see such a great example!)
    (((hugs)))

     
  • At 7:04 pm, Blogger m said…

    Your lace gets better and better!
    I just wish that I could make the time to knit more lace.

     
  • At 1:26 pm, Blogger Unknown said…

    What can I say? Stunning work. Heirlooms.

     
  • At 5:00 pm, Blogger Dusa said…

    You entirely motivate me to knit lace and beads! Gorgeous!

     
  • At 12:25 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Wow, that;s beautiful.

     
  • At 11:04 pm, Blogger mike said…

    Just curious... did you make the pring things shawl bigger by using bigger needles and bigger yarn? Or did you just keep knitting?

     
  • At 10:57 am, Anonymous ege said…

    last summer another great book on estonian lace was published - "haapsalu sall" - great instructions and patterns.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home