KnitYoga

All rights are reserved on all images and text on this blog.

Friday, September 15, 2006

Swallowtail


I started the Swallowtail Shawl from the current Interweave Knits in the raspberry pure cashmere laceweight Posh Yarn which had been destined for Sivia Harding's Victorian Shoulderette.


At the moment, it looks all bunched up as it's on straight needles. I'll always try to knit on straights rather than circulars if I can get away with it simply because, being a right needle under arm knitter, I can get on much quicker on straights.

I'm really enjoying knitting this pattern as there's a definite feeling of progression with it. There are five different charts to follow consecutively (I'm just coming to the end of the third) so you don't really get a chance to get bored. Just as you get used to one chart, you're moving onto the next. It seems a very quick knit, too, so there's the IG factor. The trickiest part has been the P5tog but I got around that by not doing the NUPP [(k1, yo, k1, yo, k1) in same stitch] too tightly and doing the purl five together by moving the five stitches onto the right hand needle and passing them over one by one. Where there's a will, there's a way usually, isn't there?

One other problem - I had thought there would be more than enough of the Posh Yarn to complete the pattern. What I'd completely forgotten is that, when Posh Yarn first launched, they were selling 50g skeins and that is what I bought? I had looked at Posh Yarn's site and calculated the yardage from the amount given for 100g. Doh! However, I'm not phased and I'm not going to send it to the frog pond. What I plan to do if I run out is to buy some more cashmere in the raspberry shade and knit the edging in that. Hopefully, then, any slight differences might not matter. Anyway, I'm so taken with the pattern, I'm planning to make more than one!

I'm very busy with work at the moment and, other than that, I've been working on more pieces for Knitz & Glitz. I've added some more stitchmarkers and am also working on several new lines as well as replenishing those that have been sold out.

Lastly, with reference to my query in the last post about the word 'cowp' meaning 'to swap', just as a matter of interest (maybe only to us northerners!), I found this report on the Durham-Tyneside Dialect Survey 2001. See, Tina, I didn't make it up! LOL

EDIT: Yay!! There was enough Posh Yarn and it's now finished (presently being blocked). Photos soon!!

14 Comments:

  • At 8:01 am, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Your shawl is so beautiful already! Hope you'll have enough yarn!

     
  • At 9:38 am, Blogger Seahorse said…

    It's looking lovely! Such a great pattern.

     
  • At 11:30 am, Blogger Craftydramaqueen said…

    Thanks, hinny, for pointing me towards the pit-matic site. I've had a good chuckle. Since I was born a Geordie, lived between Newcastle and "Sunlan" most of my life, and now live near "Durum", I use a mixture of all the words!! Anyway must dash and see to the bairns...

     
  • At 1:17 pm, Blogger dreamcatcher said…

    Swallowtail is looking lovely so far!

     
  • At 1:32 pm, Blogger CelticCastOn said…

    your shawl looks grrreat!

     
  • At 1:49 pm, Blogger Rain said…

    The raspberry is such a lovely shade and looks great as the shawl.

    I love the new lines in the shop.

     
  • At 2:58 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    That is so beautiful. I cannot read charts..no memory to remember what the symbols mean. I hope you will have enouh yarn and I cannot wait to see what else will appear in your shop. Any Mobile danglies coming soon?

     
  • At 9:51 pm, Blogger Badger said…

    That is so pretty, that shawl is on my 'to do' list :)

     
  • At 9:58 pm, Blogger Nikki in Niagara said…

    Gorgeous shawl! Loving the colour. Needle-under-the-arm knitters unite!!

     
  • At 10:39 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Eek! Love the look of the shawl, but in my experience, dye lots can be drastically different.....

     
  • At 10:44 pm, Blogger Nana Sadie said…

    I'm keeping my fingers crossed you have enough yarn - it's just GORGEOUS! You do such lovely work. I can't imagine knitting the way you do, but I believe we should ALL knit the way that's most comfortable for us!
    (((hugs)))

     
  • At 12:04 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I hope you have enough, the shawl is looking beautiful, can't wait to see it finished.

    Hope you're having a good weekend :)

     
  • At 12:08 pm, Blogger acrylik said…

    The shawl is beautiful and I'm so glad to read that there was enough yarn! Looking forward to seeing it when it's blocked.

    Enjoyed the dialect site - I've had to get used to a whole different language since moving over the Pennines and recognise a lot of those words now!

     
  • At 3:38 pm, Blogger T said…

    Ooh, it's lovely and enough yarn too! Couldn't be better. I do love that colour.
    I love dialects, they absolutely fascinate me. OK then, I'll accept the word is real ;o)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home