KnitYoga

All rights are reserved on all images and text on this blog.

Monday, September 18, 2006

Swallowtail Finished and Messing About With Wire


I finished the Swallowtail Shawl from the current Interweave Knits yesterday afternoon and I'm pleased to say that, despite my worries, I didn't after all run out of the cashmere Posh Yarn! The Posh Yarn seems to have excellent yardage as this shawl and the Heartstrings Beaded Lace Scarf both took less than 50g each. The colour's not represented well in these photos. The raspberry shade is exactly like the photo in the previous post.




On Saturday, I had a go at making a couple of pieces with wire and beads (no other ingredients) which meant I had to shape all of the pieces including the spiral hook and eye on this choker type necklace which consists of a central scrolled piece, two zig zag pieces and handmade beaded chain as well as the hook and eye. I'm not happy with the mix of zig zags and scrolls though as the sharp angled lines of the zig zags, I feel, are not in harmony with the more flowing and softer lines of the centre piece. I'll probably remove the zig zags and replace them with scrolled pieces.

EDITED to replace the original very bad photo with these two photos below which show better how the choker would look when worn and which are modelled by my new 'alien' display head (teehee). I'm beginning to think the zig zags are perhaps not so bad after all.

Front view


Back view showing spiral hook and eye

I also shaped this pin (below).


Neither of the pieces are as good as I'd like them to be but I'm just honing my skills at the moment and did learn quite a lot, I think, in making them.

16 Comments:

  • At 8:04 pm, Blogger Craftydramaqueen said…

    I adore your swallowtail shawl. You're sooo clever! The pattern is so intricate, I couldn't knit that in a year of Sundays!!! I love the necklace and the pin. I love the fact that they are totally original. You're such a talented girl!!

     
  • At 9:03 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    What a beautiful shawl! I also love the necklace and the pin, such amazing work!

     
  • At 9:11 pm, Blogger Nikki in Niagara said…

    Wow! That is so gorgeous!

     
  • At 9:23 pm, Blogger Nana Sadie said…

    I feel an order to Posh Yarns coming on....and an order for a backissue...Swallowtail is on the list! (omg...how many shawls does that make anyway?) YOUR'S is just GORGEOUS!!! I'm green with envy!
    And frankly, I love that little pin. I'm like the necklace, but will be interested in seeing what else you do with it!
    (((hugs)))

     
  • At 12:18 am, Blogger dreamcatcher said…

    Swallowtail is beautiful! What an amazing pattern and so pretty in the raspberry :-)

    Love your latest wirework too :-)

     
  • At 7:42 am, Blogger Lizzy said…

    Your Swallowtail Shawl is stunning. I have been considering this pattern and think I would like to make it having seen how well yours turned out. I am thinking of using some cashmere from Colormart UK, they are such good value although the range of colours is sometimes a bit limited.
    That was quick work too !

     
  • At 10:17 am, Blogger T said…

    The shawl is just beautiful and it is great that the Posh Yarn has such good yardage, makes it great value. I don't see any incongruity between the zig zags and the rest of the necklace, I think they're beautiful pieces both of them.

     
  • At 2:03 pm, Blogger Seahorse said…

    The shawl is fabulous! Love the wirework too :)

     
  • At 2:29 pm, Blogger Rain said…

    The shawl is absolutely stunning. It's such a pretty pattern and looks lovely in the raspberry.

    You already know I'm in love with the necklace ;)

     
  • At 2:43 pm, Blogger Daisy said…

    Swallowtail looks totally fabulous! The colour is beautiful (how ever is comes out on the monitor. The colour in the previous post was beautiful too! ;-) )

     
  • At 5:59 pm, Blogger acrylik said…

    Oh, your shawl is amazing! And the colour is just delicious.

     
  • At 6:53 pm, Blogger Angie said…

    paBeautiful shawl Hazel and the necklace is lovely.

     
  • At 8:57 am, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    The Swallotail shawl is just awesome!! And I do love the neckpiece you done freeform. You are one Talented girly

     
  • At 9:41 am, Blogger Badger said…

    The shawl is absolutely beautiful :)

     
  • At 8:32 pm, Blogger MandellaUK said…

    What a lovely shawl, and you finished it so fast too. I'm a fan of Posh Yarns also, but I haven't tried Dee's laceweight yet.

     
  • At 5:13 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    WoW! Super Shawl! Your jewelry is truly inspired. I found your blog through britknits, I am so glad that I did. I am so much enjoying looking through all your wonderful projects.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home