KnitYoga

All rights are reserved on all images and text on this blog.

Thursday, August 24, 2006

Clean Windows!


Yesterday, Bob came along and helped me to clean the windows. We just got the outsides done before it started raining and then we did the insides. It's amazing how window cleaning can become that much more bearable when you've got someone to laugh and joke with whilst you're doing them and I've now got windows that I can actually see through! LOL

He also brought me a late birthday pressie. It turned out to be a book that I already have though.


If anyone fancies this and would like to do a swap, I'm open to offers/suggestions.

The postie brought these this morning.


The Angela Wrap and Rosebud Shawl patterns from Heirloom Knitting and issue no. 1 of 'Knit Today'. Inside the 'Knit Today' magazine, there's a pattern for a cardi which I quite like but which I already have as it's in Rowan 39. There's also an article explaining very clearly a supposedly foolproof method of how to embroider knitwear using tracing paper and a template that was provided. There were very clear diagrams of the embroidery stitches, too, so this could be useful if you like the template.

Other than that there was a scarf, a crocheted coverlet, a KSH shrug, a crocheted bracelet in Twilley's Goldfingering, a Colinette top (again taken from a pattern book which some might have already - this time the Muse book), a Sirdar top in Firefly (yuk, but YMMV), groovy grapes, what looks like a very basic sock pattern, patterns for a simple kids' cardi and jumper, a felted scarf that just looks like squares of st st and garter stitch alternated, three pages of a Buyers' Guide which reviews books on one page, buttons on another and yarn on the next (multicoloured yarn this month), and a knit library which gives several charts for fair isle designs and some knitting stitches . . . oh, and a recipe - fast food for nights when you have to knit!! There was also a free Beginners' Guide to Knitting that came with it.

Having understood that this was meant to be aimed at more experienced knitters, I'm disappointed. I don't think it fills the gap in the market that could be taken up by an Interweave Knits equivalent and, if anything, is probably pitched just a tad higher than Simply Knitting but I don't think there's a great deal of difference. Don't get me wrong, I've nothing against this type of knitting magazine and I buy Simply Knitting every month. It's just that I'd been looking forward to what I thought was going to be a knitting magazine aimed at more experienced knitters. So, I'm now eagerly awaiting the launch of Yarn Forward in the hope that that one may fill the gap.

12 Comments:

  • At 6:31 pm, Blogger sgeddes said…

    Looks like postie was good to you today! I can't wait to see some of those patterns knitted up. Too bad about the magazine, hoepfully Yarn Forward will be better.

     
  • At 8:40 pm, Blogger acrylik said…

    Great post day :D

    I must say I was put off by Knit Today when I saw the Rowan pattern on the website - I don't want another magazine that publishes patterns I already have. If I see it in the shops then I probably will buy the first issue just to take a look, but I'm not going to go looking for it especially. Thank you for the review!

     
  • At 12:51 am, Blogger Fred said…

    I thought that KT was very much like SK but with more pages. However I remember how down everyone was about SK when it first came out but I definitely hope the "technical" level gets pitched higher.

     
  • At 1:10 am, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Now, that was a truly great mail day, wasn't it? I'm so curious already to see the patterns knitted up! And thanks for the info about the magazine - I was about to search for it at our airport's magazine stand (they're really good with UK craft- and knitting mags), but considering the immense price they have for imported mags and your review I might think this over again!

     
  • At 8:57 am, Blogger Seahorse said…

    The Heirloom Knitting patterns are gorgeous.

    I'm waiting for YF with bated breath too!

     
  • At 10:28 am, Blogger Piglottie said…

    When will the UK get a decent knitting magazine? Like everyone else, waiting to see what Yarn Forward is like.

    Lovely haul from the postie, the shawl patterns look gorgeous.

     
  • At 1:20 pm, Blogger Rain said…

    The shawl patterns look beautiful. I bet you can't wait to get started.

    I can only go off the website pictures for thoughts on KT, but none of the patterns appealled. It's cetainly not pitched to a more advanced market and seems disappointing all round from reading your review. Fingers crossed for Yarn Forward!

     
  • At 5:53 pm, Blogger MandellaUK said…

    I quite liked the tone of KT. I subscribe to Simply Knitting, but it drives me insane with it's "Wow! everyone can knit it's so easy and trendy!" style. It's one of the reasons I stopped buying Cross Stitcher and now SK is giving me the same twitchy feeling.

     
  • At 9:55 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Yes Hazel I saw Knit Today in W.H Smith today and was really disappointed.

     
  • At 10:53 pm, Blogger Badger said…

    The heirloom patterns look lovely.

    I bought KT just to see what it was like and agree with your summing up. There's nothing in it that makes it a worthwhile buy for me, and so I guess we all have our hopes pinned on Yarn Forward to deliver the goods!

     
  • At 7:35 pm, Blogger dreamcatcher said…

    Agree with your comments on Knit Today. Yarn Forward is *very* eagerly awaited :-)

    Love the look of the lace shawl patterns :-)

     
  • At 9:55 pm, Blogger T said…

    All that knitting post on one day - yum!

    Hmmm, I might resist the new mag. I'm waiting for Yarn Forward too :D

     

Post a Comment

<< Home