KnitYoga

All rights are reserved on all images and text on this blog.

Sunday, July 23, 2006

Earrings and Stash


Yesterday, at last, I found myself in Putney in a certain shop (clue - air conditioned and full of something we all love). No prizes for guessing I was in Stash Yarns and everything that everyone has said about it is oh, so true! I was impressed by the yarn on the needles all ready to knit so that one could try knitting with the different yarns before buying and the sheer array of yarn that I'd never been able to see and touch before. I met Natalie (Michelle's in the US at the moment) and got to meet Nickerjac again. I had a good look and feel of the Handmaiden yarn (or should I say the bit that was left as it had, apparently, been flying off the shelves like hot cakes!) I loved the texture of the Mission Falls Cotton and the colours of the Koigu were amazing. It was with a great effort of will that I stopped myself from buying the Koigu yarn for the delectable new Koigu Oriental Jacket which I've fallen hopelessly and madly in love with. Nickerjac and I, however, have agreed that it's probably better both from the points of view of getting just the right colour palette and for saving one from bankruptcy to buy a bit at a time and gradually acquire the yarn to make it with.

So, what did I buy? Well, I was relatively restrained and bought only two skeins of yarn. Admittedly one was a 200g skein of Handmaiden Silk Spun which is enough to make the Silk Vee the pattern of which comes with it. The other skein is Feza Premier and isn't for me so doesn't count! I also bought the Mason-Dixon Knitting book which has been on my wish list for some time.


I have a few bits of news! I've bought my own domain and am in the process of setting up my very own e-Shop so that I can sell some of my handmade jewellery. I've become quite addicted to making it you see and there's a limit to how much I can wear myself and how much I can actually afford to give away. A couple of potential opportunities have also come up knitting-wise but I can't say too much about that at the moment.

The last few days have seen me experimenting with earrings. Firstly, I made these silver feather earrings.


Then, I made a couple of single earrings (below) which I'm going to cannibalise as they were only experiments. Actually, the one on the left I'm rather proud of and I'm going to save the bottom bit and just discard the top bead as it's a bit too long and dangly, I think. The bit I'm chuffed about is the wire work at the bottom which was my very first attempt at this sort of thing which I've taught myself from instructions in a magazine.


I've finished the back and the left front of the Rapunzel cardi but I doubt if it will be ready in time for Tuesday to give to the new baby (or rather the new baby's mum) as work is very busy at the moment and I seem to be spending a lot of my spare time making jewellery!

18 Comments:

  • At 11:43 pm, Blogger Christa said…

    Love the earrings.. isn't the wirework fun? Have you played around with making stitchmarkers, yet? I was having a great old time with that the other day. :-)

     
  • At 2:11 am, Blogger CelticCastOn said…

    loving the earrings!!! Do you have a jig??? I'd love to play around with one of those.

     
  • At 4:32 am, Blogger ra said…

    thanks for the reassurance re my shrug. I think you may be right.

    I love your earrings and think setting up somewhere online to sell them is a great idea.
    I used to make earrings but never got it together to sell them, just made them for myself.

    Good luck!

     
  • At 7:33 am, Blogger Seahorse said…

    That yarn looks delicious!

    I love the wire work - I should think there is lots of potential there! Looking forward to seeing more.

     
  • At 9:22 am, Blogger Mary-Lou said…

    I saw that yarn for the silk vee too, but I passed this time, on the grounds of not spending any more money ...! (there's always next time I go though) Good suggestion about buying the Koigu bit by bit ...

     
  • At 10:36 am, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I love the earrings, especially the singles. Good luck with the shop, it's a wonderful idea!! xx

     
  • At 12:46 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Love the jewellery but by god I wished i never clicked on the Link to the Jacket!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

     
  • At 3:12 pm, Blogger acrylik said…

    Oooh, lucky you getting to go to Stash! One of the girls from the local knitting groups went recently and had a great time!

    I'm with Silvia - oops I shouldn't have clicked on that link - lol!

    Your jewellery is looking as fantastic as always and good luck with the online shop, that is great news! I feel a purchase or two coming on ;)

     
  • At 10:33 pm, Blogger Rain said…

    It's beautiful, the wirework looks fantastic.

    p.s. I'm not clicking on any links to patterns as you people are shocking enablers as it is.

     
  • At 4:08 am, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Stash Yarns sounds like the perfect place to be! The thought of them having needles and yarn all ready to test knit is something they should so do over here as well, but no sir, that kind of customer care is basically unknown over here. Duh. :(
    I love the yarn you chose, and gosh, your earrings are so gorgeous once again! I'm looking forward to seeing your new e-shop all set up and to get to browse through your handmade items there - it's certainly a fantastic idea as your jewellry is truly something very unique and beautiful! Fingers crossed that everything will go the way you expect it!

     
  • At 5:26 am, Blogger PBnJ said…

    Sounds like you had fun at the yarn store!
    and those earrings are just gorgeous. Great job! I'm gonna have to try wire work one of these days...
    I love to work with beads too! :D

     
  • At 11:24 am, Blogger MissLucy said…

    good luck with the shop - what a great idea!

     
  • At 7:29 pm, Blogger Nana Sadie said…

    Wishing you all the best as you start your website endeavor! The jewelry is delightful! Just don't let it take you away from knitting and blogging, okay?
    (((hugs)))

     
  • At 5:00 am, Blogger Unknown said…

    I really love the earrings! The one on the left has just a bit of a celtic touch - perhaps the top bead just needs to be a small bicone?

     
  • At 11:06 am, Blogger Daisy said…

    Your jewellery looks fantastic and good luck with the shop!
    Am very jealous of your visit to Putney too...

     
  • At 11:43 am, Blogger T said…

    You've done so much since I was last about that I can't keep up! Exciting news about the e-shop, that's really good :D As usual I am in awe of your beautiful finished knits

     
  • At 11:50 am, Blogger Piglottie said…

    I love handmaiden yarn and would love some of her Seasilk (did Stash have any btw?). Mason-Dixon Knitting is also on my wish list. Your jewellery looks as wonderful as ever, please let us know your ebay store address when you get it sorted as your divine kilt pins just keep calling to me...

     
  • At 1:26 pm, Blogger Angie said…

    Fez yarns look fascinating ..."Pavi" have a pattern book that looks quite interesting .angie http://hickorypill.blogspot.com/

     

Post a Comment

<< Home