KnitYoga

All rights are reserved on all images and text on this blog.

Thursday, June 15, 2006

Jewellery Making


Thanks for all the nice comments on my last post. The event did seem to be a success if somewhat exhausting for us but we hope that we've put ourselves out there a bit more and will pick up a few new members from it. Apologies for not doing any links in my last post, too. Blogger was playing up so much, I just didn't seem to get around to it but, anyway, the main thing I'd like to point out is Pixeldiva's link to finger knitting which is so clear and easy to understand. This was a good thing as I left it until the last minute before learning it to teach to others at our event!

Making jewellery is turning out to be such fun and therapeutic, too. Since my first attempt with the experimental asymmetrical necklace, I've made these. First, the 'Greens and Blues' necklace.


I didn't do much to celebrate Project Spectrum's colour (green) last month (well, I did do the DB Pure Silk Scarf and the green bag with appliqued flowers so I wasn't completely neglectful) but, anyway, I rather fancied combining May and June's colours (green and blue) to make a necklace and the above was the result. A four-stranded necklace using nylon coated wire with silver plated findings.

Then I decided to go for pretty and delicate and a bit more demanding so this necklace was born.


With this one, I graduated from working with crimp beads for holding the beads in place to eyepins. Pink, clear and silver beads form the main piece and a larger bead in bead caps, three smaller beads and a double strand of beads in varying lengths hang from the centre. Again, all findings are silver plated.

The Pink Palace has definitely proved to be my second home. I really enjoy going along there and sorting out the beads for my next piece. This is easy to do as Nathalie always has a design board at hand so you can try out different combinations.

Next, I thought I'd try for something Goth in the way of a bracelet as Rain and Carrie Anne thought Goth might be popular at the November charity craft fair. Carrie Anne suggested that black with either red, shocking pink or teal would be appropriate for Goth and I came up with this.


It's suede cord with wooden and metal beads. The beads that are hanging are suspended with waxed cord and held in place with leather ends and the whole thing's fastened with a toggle clasp from which a couple more beads have been attached. Now, the question is have I succeeded at Goth or is this more "ethnic"?!! I'm afraid I'm not altogether an expert on what does or does not qualify as being acceptably Goth looking! If it's not quite the thing, tips please, people! I want to do Goth and I want to get it right. LOL




And just so this post is not completely devoid of knitting, have a look at this exceptional boa that Mary-Lou's friend has made with the Sirdar Loopa for the November charity craft fair.

The colours and the textures of the yarns together on this one are perfect I think. Also, if you haven't yet seen the knitted Ferrari, why not take a look here.

8 Comments:

  • At 6:14 pm, Blogger dreamcatcher said…

    I do like the necklaces you've made, the second one is especially pretty :-) I like the Goth bracelet too, it looks suitably Goth to me (I tend to dress quite Goth-y in the winter, but I'm not a young and hip person so my opinion may not count for much! :-)

     
  • At 6:46 pm, Blogger T said…

    Not young or hip here either but that bracelet is wonderful!
    Very nice necklaces too, but I like the bracelet the most. Perhaps I'm just 'hipper' than I thought? ;)

    It's great that it's therapeutic.

     
  • At 7:37 pm, Blogger Mary-Lou said…

    Very pretty! - me, I'm just greedy and I like them all!!

     
  • At 4:42 am, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I am with mary-Lou on that. I like it all. You been a busy bee. The scarf looks very luxuriuos (sp?)
    I saw the knitted Ferrari in the newspaper yesterday looks like Knitting is getting real Hip and trendy again.

     
  • At 10:19 am, Blogger Rain said…

    Your necklaces are really beautiful, you've certainly got an eye for what looks good.

    It works as goth for me, they seem to be into leather and spikes and black white and red.

     
  • At 8:52 pm, Blogger acrylik said…

    Love the jewellery, especially the goth bracelet, I would definitely go for that one :)

     
  • At 10:48 pm, Blogger MissLucy said…

    the jewellery is beautiful! I wish I had the patience to sit down and learn it. Iactually bought some really nice swarivski beads this winter, but in the end I didn't really know what to do with them so I swapped with another knitblogger and got me some more yarn instead!

     
  • At 2:56 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Your creations are amazing! I love your blue/green necklace tremendously (and those aren't normally my colours!), it's so beautiful and well made, I'm in awe! Please continue beading, you're obviously a natural! xxx

     

Post a Comment

<< Home