KnitYoga

All rights are reserved on all images and text on this blog.

Monday, April 03, 2006

Still a Bit Edgy!


Thanks so much for all your comments on which edging to choose which I did find extremely helpful and much more use than a chocolate teapot, Tracy. LOL

However, I'm still a bit undecided. I'm afraid I'm like Judith says she is when she compares herself to Mavis from "Open all Hours"! I find it very difficult to make decisions when confronted with several choices! It was reassuring to see that most of you agreed that the feather lace looked the best with the butterflies and beads swatch but quite a few of you seemed to be, like me, hankering after those leaves! Butterflies and leaves. Yes, they do seem to go together poetically, Cherry. Cherry said that it was the garter stitch on the leaf edging that was wrong and the Crafty Otter said it was because the butterflies were geometric whilst the leaves were organic. Well, I'm afraid I've got really anal over this. I must get it right! So, I reknitted the leaf edging without the garter stitch to see how it would look. I think it's definitely an improvement with the garter stitch omitted and, what's more, it turns the corner fantastically without any problems whatsoever so I wouldn't have to gather it, or mitre it, at the corners.

Leaf Edging Minus Garter Stitch

I also found another leaf edging called fancy leaf edging which I thought I'd try. I do so like the idea of having the butterflies and the leaves together, you see. I'm not sure I like this one so much though.

Fancy Leaf Edging

So, really, I'm down to choosing between staying with the feather lace or going with the leaf edging minus the garter stitch as in the first photo above. The other thing that occurred to me was that the feather lace is more lacy looking than the leaf edging, right? So, might the jacket, with the feather lace edging, end up looking a bit boudoir-ish as in like a bed jacket!? I mean to say, I want it to be an evening jacket but not so late in the evening that it looks like its wearer is getting ready for bed!

Thank you, Secret Pal, for letting me know that you've posted a package to me. How exciting! I shall have to start stalking the postman again now whenever I see his little red van in close proximity.

I also need to decide what to do with orange and yellow which are this month's Project Spectrum colours. I'm thinking that some knitted corsages in citrus colours might be an idea as they can be sold at the Craft Fair. I think I'll forego knitting the sungold and blend vintage yarn for the moment as I want to have the right project in mind to use it and that hasn't quite occurred to me yet. A future poll perhaps??

10 Comments:

  • At 11:55 pm, Blogger T said…

    Well, now you have given me too many choices and my head's going to explode.

    You seem to really want the leaves now, and both of those examples look fine to me. Choose one, and then it won't be a bed jacket :)

    I can't come back for your vintage yarn poll, I can't choose any more :D

     
  • At 1:46 am, Blogger Sharon J said…

    It could end up a bit bed jacket-ish I suppose, it depends on what the rest of it's like. I like the border in the top photo best. ~Sharon xx

     
  • At 8:40 am, Blogger Rain said…

    The leaves were my second choice yesterday and I much prefer them without the garter stitch. While I still like the feather lace, it sounds lke the leaves will give you a lot less hassle.

    I'm like you when it comes to decisions like this. Flip a coin, really it works. If you get what you really want then you will go along with it quite happily, if not then you will still have doubts and know that the other option is what you wanted deep down.

     
  • At 9:54 am, Blogger Seahorse said…

    I love the leaves and take your point about the feather lace perhaps edging towards the boudoir. Really though, I think either would look fantastic and I'm really looking forward to seeing the finished item.

    The corsages sound a super idea, although I will confess to the slightest twinge of disappointment that you won't be breaking out the Sungold just yet. Perhaps it's just some kind of post-war label fetish but that yarn is SO appealing to me!

     
  • At 11:04 am, Blogger Alison said…

    Leaving out the garter stitch is definitely a big improvement. I must be going through a 'girlie' phase (about 12 years later than average!) because I like the laciness. Then again, just look at the latest Rowan for plenty of lacey jacketiness... ;) Personally, I still like the feathers, but I think you like the leaves. So do the leaves! :)

     
  • At 11:24 am, Blogger AmyP said…

    Re. cardigan design-thingy (yes, it's a technical term) - I'd still go with the feather lace for both the bottom and side edging. The butterfly-with-beads pattern is relatively "fussy", and I feel that the feather lace gives a simpler look.
    Ultimately it's down to you (yeah, *big* help)!

     
  • At 8:24 pm, Blogger MandellaUK said…

    This isn't a lot of help, but I think either looks good. Go with the courage of your convictions! It's your jacket after all.

     
  • At 9:41 pm, Blogger acrylik said…

    This has been fascinating reading this evening - I've really enjoyed it!

    Personally I prefer the feather lace edging, I think you can get away with it on an evening jacket. I must say though that the leaf edging is just amazing!

     
  • At 11:27 am, Blogger KnitYoga said…

    Thanks for all your comments. They have helped because, although I haven't reached a final decision yet, (have to wait for the beads to arrive before I can start anyway), the general concensus seems to be that either one would be okay. Rain, I like your heads or tails idea. I've done that in the past when I've not been able to decide on something. So, if I'm still unsure when the beads arrive, that's what I'll do. Thanks again for all your help.

     
  • At 12:22 am, Blogger dreamcatcher said…

    A bit late to the party, but my instinctive choice was the leaves without the garter stitch. I like the flowing effect and the "organic" shape, really pretty :-)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home