KnitYoga

All rights are reserved on all images and text on this blog.

Monday, April 24, 2006

Sock


Finished my first sock! DPNs weren't hard to use after all which is really a relief because I can see lots of uses for them in the future, e.g. Vogue Knitting's Circular Shrug (which I've wanted to knit but, when I saw it had to be started on DPNs, I was instantly deterred), and hats worked from the crown down, etc.

Sock from Web of Wool Sock Kit knitted in Opal Rodeo

However, despite being quite happy to use DPNs, I think I may quickly move on to socks on two circulars. This is because there are lines visible where the stitches were on different needles. These are not ladders, just lines. I did everything to avoid ladders by pulling the yarn tight on the last and first stitch on each needle and by spreading the stitches over a larger area by using all five needles. I didn't try moving a stitch over on to the next needle each time which I've heard can help because I was afraid I'd get in a muddle (it being my first sock and all). Perhaps, I pulled the yarn a bit too tight between needles or maybe the lines that look just like creases that could be ironed out are par for the course when knitting socks on DPNs. I don't know ..... but I'm going to have a go at other methods anyway including, perhaps, the magic loop method as well as the two circulars method. The sock fits just fine and, when I tried it on, the lines disappeared!

Other than the sock, I've knitted another corsage and another small bag (which still needs a cord).


The orange bag was meant to replace the original bag which was to be entered into the draw as a little pressie for someone but, again, I'm not happy with it. It turned out a bit too big when using the Amulet Bag pattern so I'm going to knit it yet again in thinner yarn, still on DPNs, but probably more of a rectangular shape as I think the beads looked better on the first bag which I frogged. It will mean a seam at the bottom but I can cope with that and they do say "third time lucky" so let's hope so!

I really liked Michelle's idea for the Craft Fair of small bags for children with a necklace or bracelet inside. Thanks, Michelle! I thought I'd have a play at trying to make some knitted jewellery perhaps using i-cord and beads.

I had an email from Posh Yarn today saying that my yarn has now been despatched by registered post and that I should receive it in the next day or two. Isn't it exciting!!

11 Comments:

  • At 8:07 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Tee hee - my first sock was in the exact same yarn! They're a fun knit. Yours looks very neat. I haven't yet tried 2 circs (although it's one of my targets for this year - if only my appraisal could be knitting-related rather than teaching-related - sigh), but I'm not a massive fan of magic loop... Tbh, I'm rather grown to love the dpns, which I really didn't expect to start with.

     
  • At 9:22 pm, Blogger Daisy said…

    I sometimes still get the lines with my DPNs - and I got really big ones on 2 circs. Haven't done enough of Magic Loop yet to find out how they go line-wise! Sometimes I found though that pulling the stitches really tight made the lines worse...
    Also, once the socks have been washed you usually can't see the lines anymore anyway.

     
  • At 10:09 pm, Blogger T said…

    Your first socks are gorgeous! I hope you are proud :)

     
  • At 9:29 am, Blogger Rain said…

    Yay, yarn on the way.

    I think the lines in your socks may ease out with a bit of gentle persuasion. It can take a while to get used to DPNs but they are really useful. I started something on two circs last week and was surprised at how easy it was to get going with it. Magic Loop looked like a bit too much hassle to me, but I think it's worth trying out to see which you prefer.

    The socks look great regardless, I really like the colourway of the yarn.

     
  • At 10:22 am, Blogger Seahorse said…

    Gorgeous sock! I agree with Daisy that the lines may go in the wash. Mine did anyway. I'm hugely excited that you might be doing the Vogue shrug (assuming it's the one I'm thinking of!).

     
  • At 10:33 am, Blogger Minnieknits said…

    Yay for the sock and you mastering dpns - I agree with Rain, dpns take a little while to get used to - my first socks had these telltale lines but subsequent pairs are fine - still two circs seems popular too so I won't hold it against you if you move your allegience! ;-)

     
  • At 10:51 am, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Congratulations! Knitting socks is a lot of fun. I am a big fan of DPNs and I have never really considered changing technique, although I have tried 2 circs.
    Your Posh Yarn seems fabulous!

     
  • At 1:42 pm, Blogger acrylik said…

    Way to go! Your first sock is wonderful! I like the colourway. To be honest I don't pull the stitches tight when I work from one needle to the other and I don't have any problems with lines or ladders - so might be worth a try? Here's to the next sock!

     
  • At 5:30 pm, Blogger dreamcatcher said…

    Congrats on your first sock, it looks great! I agree with the others that the "lines" may well relax out after washing.

    Bet you can't wait for the "Posh yarn" to arrive .... mine was delivered today and it's wonderful :-)

     
  • At 6:44 pm, Blogger MandellaUK said…

    What a lovely sock. I bet you're pleased, lines or no. I couldn't get on with 2 circs, but each to her own.

     
  • At 10:53 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Oooh! Great sock! And I really like the colours you've used for the yellow amulet bag, they look really good together.

    Thanks for the info on Noro - I spotted some Silk Garden in John Lewis the other day and although you're right and it doesn't seem to be the softest of yarns, I think I might just have to make yet another scarf to try some of the colours out - it all looks so pretty!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home