KnitYoga

All rights are reserved on all images and text on this blog.

Sunday, April 02, 2006

Living Life on the Edge


That's what I did today. Lived life on the edge. No, I didn't go potholing or bungee jumping. I did this! I did four edging swatches to see what they'd look like with the Beads and Butterflies stitch I'm using for the main part of my evening jacket design. From top to bottom, they're Feather Lace, Leaf Edging, Broken Eyelet, and Stripe with Twisted Bars.

I'm not kidding myself that I'm going to be any good at this designing malarkey but, if I can turn the donated acrylic yarn into something original that someone's prepared to buy in aid of Cancer Charities (and have fun in the process), then I'll be happy.

I've given it some more thought and my idea now is for a cropped jacket with slightly flared three quarter length sleeves but which edging to use. How about this one?

Leaf Edging

Or, this one, perhaps?

Feather Lace

Or maybe this one? The contrast on this one is Patons' Spritz which is a sparkly lurex type yarn. A little too much with the beads as well, do you think?

Broken Eyelet

And, lastly, there's this one.

Stripe with Twisted Bars

As I'd like to use the edging to edge the sleeves and the front bands, too, and I also intend to give the jacket a collar in the edging, (albeit a little deeper than the inch or so that I'll use elsewhere), I came to the conclusion that the feather lace would probably be the best. The photo below gives some idea of how it would look though I'm sure that it will improve no end with a good blocking and a proper sewing rather than the unblocked, roughly pinned example below.


So, what do you think? All opinions are welcome!

Oh, and I didn't have a completely uneventful Sunday. I did go climbing and I also got myself into deep water. How? Sorry to disappoint you yet again. The climbing was only up a step ladder so that I could reach the top of the windows to clean them. When the sun shines, it really shows how dirty your windows are, doesn't it? Oh, and the deep water was when I stepped down from the ladder straight into the bucket of water! Doh!

And I still haven't got on to that Noro jumper . . . . . .

POSTSCRIPT: I'm now thinking that maybe the edging at the bottom and on the front bands should be in one continuous piece, i.e. continuing up the front bands from the bottom and sort of gathered at the corners? Do you think it might look better like this?

12 Comments:

  • At 8:00 pm, Blogger Mary-Lou said…

    They're all pretty (I think I like the feather/fan and the broken eyelet best) - think that one thing you might like to consider is that the repeat on the edging will probably look best if it matches the repeat on the main part? And what about mitring the corners?

     
  • At 8:06 pm, Blogger KnitYoga said…

    Two great observations. Thanks! I think I'll bring it all along to MK meeting next Saturday so I can have a quick word with you about it if we get time and you don't mind! ;-)

     
  • At 9:40 pm, Blogger sal the spider said…

    I was prepared to brook no competition - had to be the leaves, but then seeing it next to the butterflies,no. You are right to go with your choice is my vote. And yeah, mitred corners :-)
    Sal x

     
  • At 9:47 pm, Blogger MandellaUK said…

    The feather lace looks very good. Taken on their own I think the leaf one is the most striking, but like Sal I think you've chosen well for the garment you have in mind.

    Go on. See if you can get it to turn that corner.

     
  • At 10:42 pm, Blogger T said…

    I had come to the same conclusion as you, the feather lace is best.

    I'm either too tired or not knowledgeable enough to answer the second part of the question :)

     
  • At 10:59 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I think you're right with the feather and fan edging, very pretty. Re the corners, I think a gather around the corner would look good with your design, as it's soft and feminine.

     
  • At 7:15 am, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hmmm, I am the original Mavis from Open All Hours - remember, she couldn't ever decide whether to have the large or small of whatever she was buying.

    My vote is for the leaves, then the feather/fan one and yes, mitre the corners - just to make life easy!

     
  • At 10:12 am, Blogger Rain said…

    *Giggles* at the thought of you standing in a bucket.

    I like the feather lace best too. The whole thing is looking great so far and I can't wait to see it when you've finished.

     
  • At 10:47 am, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    i vote for the feather lace (second lace) in one continous piece!
    i posted your package on saturday. t's supposed to reach you within a few days!!
    have a lovely week
    your secret pal

     
  • At 1:44 pm, Blogger susoolu said…

    Yes, I vote for feather lace too - and in one continuous piece. Because you know you want to!

     
  • At 4:08 pm, Blogger Seahorse said…

    The Feather Lace looks gorgeous. I'm hugely impressed with your swatching. That would be my entire knitting output for about a month, lol! Keep away from these extreme sports now! ;)

     
  • At 4:18 pm, Blogger Alison said…

    I agree that the feather lace looks the prettiest with the beads and butterflies stitch; like Mandella, I like the leaf one best 'standalone', but I don't think it works for this project. OK, leaves and butterflies 'match' logically, but these butterflies are too geometric, I think, for the wonderfully organic looking leaves.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home