KnitYoga

All rights are reserved on all images and text on this blog.

Wednesday, January 18, 2006

The 2006 Knitting Olympics


Over at the Yarn Harlot's place, there are Olympic challenges being aspired to in the form of a long list of knitters who have signed themselves up to undertake a feat of knitting that will stretch them as much as the competitors in the Olympic Games themselves! The challenge posed by the Yarn Harlot is for one to knit something that will test one's skills and endurance to their limits. Casting on should take place during the Opening Ceremonies of the Winter Olympics (February 10th) and the project should be finished before the Olympic flame goes out (February 26th). That means 16 days! What challenges one person, of course, will be completely different to what challenges another. The important thing is that it poses a challenge to the person who is taking it on.

Now, I did say that one of my knitting new year resolutions was to challenge myself more and I did say that I wanted to advance in my lace knitting so, I must be crazy, but I've decided to knit a piece of challenging (to me) lace, probably in the form of a shawl.

That took me to Blackberry Ridge where I started looking through the shawls and noting their levels of difficulty in relation to my (non) expertise. Now, I absolutely adore this one which is rated as adventurous intermediate.


Alcazar, the Moorish Palace

However, not wishing to set myself up for certain failure, I decided reluctantly to forgo it on this occasion! I mean, I've knitted Birch and I've knitted River but that's hardly advanced is it?!! I want to stretch myself but I'm not sure what I'd be capable of doing at this stage and in that time frame. So, I'm looking for help from you. Yes, you, lace-knitter! You who are reading this now and probably chortling away merrily at the thought of me even having the thought pass through my mind of knitting Alcazar. Please help. Can you suggest something that I'd be ready for and that should be achievable in 16 days but, at the same time, will give me an Olympian challenge?! Of course, the opinions of those that don't consider themselves lace-knitters are also sought, please!

7 Comments:

  • At 10:14 pm, Blogger MissLucy said…

    I'll be watching the comments to this post! Like you I'm thinking about joining the olympics, and like you my only lace experiences are Birch and River. I have bought the pattern and ordered yarn for the Shoalwater Shawl, but I think it might be too easy for an olympic challenge. But a more complex pattern should require more than 16 days. Very tricky.

     
  • At 11:02 pm, Blogger Wye Sue said…

    Being and addict (and just casted on a Wedding ring today - I must be mad...)
    what about Angela wrap from Heirloom-knitting...Sharon says it is an easy knit abd she has an offer on wool....

    http://www.heirloom-knitting.co.uk/angela_project.html

     
  • At 8:35 am, Blogger MissLucy said…

    I think, if I decide to do it, I will go with one of the three intermediate patterns I found at Fiddlesticks (they are listed in my Jan. 11 entry), or the Melanie Shawl from Heirloom which is described as a good project after the Angela wrap that wye sue mentioned in her comment. It might not be the best way to do it, but personally I would be inclined to skip the beginner level (Angela)and go directly to the next level (Melanie) just to make sure I'm in over my head...
    But I still think 16 days is a bit short. I think Birch took me 11 days the second time I made it.

     
  • At 12:37 pm, Blogger susoolu said…

    I say go for - I'm about to sign up to the K.O. Be brave (or foolish) - and you do seem like a fast knitter!

     
  • At 6:33 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Absolutely go for it!!!

    I've just signed up too... will be knitting a sweater, not sure I'll make it in 16 but will sure try.

     
  • At 10:45 pm, Blogger MandellaUK said…

    I like Tari's Fiddlesticks idea. I have the kit for the Angela wrap, and it does look somewhat daunting, although there are two versions, one easier than the other. Plus the yarn's so thin it'll be like knitting with thread.

    I'm doing Ene's Scarf from Scarf Style, which is really a shawl. That's quite challening enough, I've calculated I'll have to do three times my average daily knitting to get it done in time!

     
  • At 8:47 am, Blogger Daisy said…

    Go for it! After all, you'll have the fun and the challenge, and a good attempt at doing it within the time. I'm thinking of doing charity baby jumpers (wonder how many I could do in 16 days?!)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home