KnitYoga

All rights are reserved on all images and text on this blog.

Friday, November 04, 2005

Double Edgar with a Dash of Ruffles


Well, I managed to stem the Curly Whirliness for a little while and got cracking on the Noro Iro and the Edgars for Xmas pressies. I made one smaller one because, having made a hat already with one skein of this colourway, I only had enough for the cravat sized Edgar. In the other colourway, I had two skeins so I went for the full size on that one.


Everything was going swimmingly and my addiction was being satisfied in part by the setting up of the Curly Whirlies blog where I can savour all the wonders of squiggliness that get posted by other Curly Whirliers and Curly Whirly addicts. My virtuosity knew no bounds but then Christina from UKHK posted a link to the group of an image of Ruffles from the Scarf Style book. This image looked so delectable - even more so than the one in the book - that I was compelled to start it there and then. The closest my stash would allow to what I would have liked to knit Ruffles with was some Sirdar Breeze cotton rich DK. I'd really have liked to treat Ruffles to something a bit more luxuriant but cold turkey was beginning to set in, so I cast on with the Breeze. This is how far I've got.


I think I'm about half way through. The pattern only calls for 22 stitches in all so might be ideal for those who have been put off knitting the Curly Whirlies sideways by the amount of stitches one can end up with which can go into thousands if one is too rash! However, Ruffles' coil is formed by using short rows so there is a lot of turning which can become a bit tiresome after a while.

This is how the coil looks. Luckily the stitches didn't come off the needle when I did this shot! I think this could end up being potentially "twisted phone cable" type annoying. With the short row shaping and having to keep turning the work, I've already had to regularise the coil a few times as it were. Still, once it's knitted, I expect it will stay more or less as is . . . . . hopefully! Or maybe it won't matter that much anyway.

Curly Whirlies blog seems to have taken off quite well. Quite a few people seem to have caught the bug and Lixie has designed some really funky buttons for people to use in their sidebars so they can link to the site. Thank you, Lixie, you're a star! Thanks must also go to Christina who has posted loads of links to free patterns for curly scarves to UKHK (these have been placed on Curly Whirlies' sidebar) and to Chris who helped me with the html for putting the link into the button and placing it so that it didn't throw out the text in the Patterns list.

Next week I have to put all the photos entered for the KnitSpeak competition into a gallery so that the winner can be chosen. I'm not sure how this is going to happen yet. I would like to give the 400g custom dyed Hip Knits Silk to all the competitors because I like all of the photos but I don't think my bank balance will stand this. I'm hoping that I can get people to vote by leaving comments on the blog but I'll have to give it a bit more thought.

I'm looking forward to seeing my DS and DIL this weekend who've just bought their first property together. Mmm . . . . . I wonder if my DIL would like a squiggly scarf?

7 Comments:

  • At 12:20 pm, Blogger Daisy said…

    The hat is cool and I am trying to avoid the curly whirlie blog cos I'm going to get sucked into the obsession if I'm not careful (MUST do those Christmas presents!). You could have one of those poll things for the Hipknits comp. where people select one option, I've seen them on other blogs?

     
  • At 3:41 pm, Blogger Alison said…

    *Love* the curly whirlies - am trying to resist being drawn in by them... Also love the colourful Edgar - it seems to be a perfect pattern for the colour spacing! Will have to investigate further... ;)

     
  • At 7:32 pm, Blogger MissLucy said…

    You're turning scarves into an art!

     
  • At 10:22 pm, Blogger Fred said…

    Are you taking orders ;-)

     
  • At 8:07 am, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Why don't you try one of these polls

    http://www.blogpoll.com/poll/

    I used one in the HipKnits blog once, they are easy to set up and see how many votes you have..

     
  • At 6:57 am, Blogger Woolly Wormhead said…

    I love the Edgar's and the Ruffles.. think I'd have to make an Edgar for myself! I wonder if there's been a machine invented to slow down time, or buy some more?!

     
  • At 11:59 am, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hey Hezel,

    Your Edgars are great. My favourite is the one on the left, even nicer than the original on Knitty. It really brings out the gorgeous colour transitions in the yarn.

    I promise I will start contribuiting to your blog as soon as I've got all my Xmas knitting out of the way.

    I have just unravelled a curly whirlie I started in a beautiful plum shade of Rowan Chunky Print, as the yardage is sh*te for this kind of project, after the first ball, I calculated I would have needed three more to complete the scarf. Not the best way to stash bust!

    Spk soon xx

     

Post a Comment

<< Home